Saturday, August 31, 2013

August Re-Make Recap

I can't even believe that it will be September tomorrow. Where did the summer go?! It seems like winter just ended, and now we're only a few months away from it again. But I'm going to wring every ounce of fun I can get out of autumn this year, as I do every year.

It was kind of a hectic/emotional month for us: Joe and I celebrated 9 years of marriage, and two weeks later our firstborn started kindergarten. We didn't always stay on a schedule, but I did manage to make a bunch of our favorites this month.


It just wouldn't be a recap without taco rice, right? This shows up in our rotation at least once every couple of months, and it's always a favorite. Eating this meal always ends with Joe and I having a tense discussion in the kitchen, trying to decide who will get to take the leftovers to work for lunch.


Andrew requested pepperoni pizza puffs for his "night before kindergarten" dinner. I also made them another time this month, when it was just me and the boys home for dinner. These are so simple, and the flavor is just awesome. They're like pizza rolls on steroids, and they taste much better too. I keep meaning to try a Hawaiian version with green pepper, ham, and pineapple -- but we all love the pepperoni version so much that I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.


I think it's pretty obvious by now that I love chicken Caesar everything, and these chicken Caesar salad sandwiches are one of my favorites. They hit all the same notes as a traditional Caesar salad, but in sandwich form (and with bacon). Absolutely delicious.


Joe claims that biscuits with sausage gravy is the very best meal I make, so I'm a little bit embarrassed by how easy this recipe is. But despite that, I truly do believe that it's the best sausage gravy ever. It's so tangy and sweet and creamy...just perfect. I served it with some really delicious scrambled eggs (I'll share that recipe, though it's hardly a recipe at all, with you soon), and Joe and the boys made sandwiches by piling the gravy and eggs on the biscuits. If you make one recipe from this site, I beg you to try this one.


There aren't many recipes that have survived from the early days of our marriage, but this smothered chicken is one of the ones that has. I mean, this dish is just incredible -- spicy chicken breasts smothered in peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tons of cheese...I'm salivating just thinking about it.


I think these ranch chicken tacos are my favorite weeknight meal when I want something super quick, simple, and delicious -- which, let's be honest, is pretty much every night. They literally come together in minutes, and they're so incredibly good.


It had been so long since I'd made this recipe for bow ties with spicy sausage in tomato cream sauce that I was blown away all over again by how delicious it is. It's so simple, made with only a handful of ingredients, but the flavor is just amazing.


I made Joe an Asian noodle bowl with fried eggs one night when he got home pretty late from his weekly softball game, after the boys and I had already eaten. Normally I'd just make him a sandwich in those instances (or he'd make himself one), but I think this recipe is just about as quick as making a sandwich. I just made a basic version for him, but I'm still interested in playing with the ingredients in these noodle bows -- maybe adding some carrots or cabbage.


Speaking of fried eggs, these bacon cheddar cornbread cakes with fried eggs have skyrocketed right to the top of our favorite dinners. I don't know what possessed me to even buy a box of cornbread stuffing when I discovered it in my cupboard the first night I made these -- but now I find myself buying it on purpose just so I can make these cakes. This time around, I served them alongside the most perfect summer tomato I think I've ever had. What a delicious meal.


Just as Andrew requested pepperoni pizza puffs for the night before kindergarten, he requested his favorite meal, this sweet and spicy pork and asparagus stir fry, for dinner after his first day. At my friend Sarah's suggestion, I served the pork mixture combined with angel hair pasta instead of over rice. It tasted even better that way -- which is really saying a lot.


Ever since rediscovering this recipe, I've made creamy tomato tortellini with chicken and broccoli no less than four times. It's definitely a crowd-pleaser, and it's so delicious and simple. If you haven't noticed...those are my very favorite kinds of meals. :)

No comments: