Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spicy Chicken Fried Rice with Peanuts


Has it really been a week since I last posted? I didn't intend for it to be quite that long, although I have been up to quite a few things since my last post -- including having my 30th birthday and painting and completely redecorating my kitchen. So I've been busy, but I've been doing some pretty exciting things!

I know I've professed my love for Cooking Light here many, many times, and I'm about to do it again. I recently went on a cookbook-buying spree (like I need anymore cookbooks...) and purchased a few more of Cooking Light's Annual Recipe volumes. I mean, I found three of them used on Amazon for 1 cent a piece...how could I pass that up? I'm not made of stone! This chicken fried rice recipe comes from the 2011 edition, and I wasn't surprised when we all loved it. In my experience, Cooking Light's recipes consistently knock it out of the park more than any other cooking magazine.

This stir fry is a little spicy, a little sweet, a little salty, and totally delicious. The additions of peanuts and bean sprouts give it such a nice crunch. You can use water chestnuts instead of the bean sprouts, but I don't typically use them because Joe doesn't like them. The bean sprouts were a delicious substitute. This came together pretty quickly, and we all had seconds. I really can't ask for more out of a meal than that!

Spicy Chicken Fried Rice with Peanuts

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 diced red bell pepper
1 diced yellow bell pepper
1 diced white onion
2 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, divided
4 cups cooked rice (use leftovers or Minute rice cooked as directed)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup fresh bean sprouts

1. Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.

2. Heat canola oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Add bell peppers and onions; stir fry 3 minutes or until tender. Add ginger, garlic and 3 tablespoons peanuts; stir fry 1 minute until fragrant.

3. Add rice, peas, and bean sprouts and stir fry until thoroughly heated. Add soy sauce mixture and cook two minutes, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle each serving with remaining peanuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I stumbled upon your blog as I was exploring some of the blogs my own blog's readers follow, and I just loved this post. I think my readers would really love this fried rice recipe, too! I'd like to invite you to participate in my blog's link-up party to celebrate the end of National Nutrition Month - feel free to check it out and share one of the delicious, healthy recipes you've been enjoying this past month! http://bit.ly/YCpeHq