Friday, January 11, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Whoopie Pies with Cookie Dough Buttercream Filling


I'm not even going to lie: When I look at these whoopie pies, the first thing that pops into my head is the beginning chords of "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. Because, I mean, for real. Look at those beauties. They are every bit as delicious as they look, let me assure you.

There are countless recipes out there for chocolate chip cookie whoopie pies, but I haven't seen very many that use chocolate chip cookies as the pies themselves, and use chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream for the filling. Typically one or the other is chocolate. A chocolate version would of course be delicious, but I was seeking to make the ulitmate chocolate chip cookie whoopie pie. I think this recipe succeeds on all levels. The whoopie pies themselves have crisp edges, but they're soft in the middle, and the buttercream is smooth and creamy and tastes just like chocolate chip cookie dough.

These cookies are rich and satisfying, and, with a glass of milk on the side, I just can't possibly think of anything better.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Whoopie Pies with Cookie Dough Buttercream Filling

For the cookies:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

For the filling:

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 + 1/8 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 1/4 tsp vanilla

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

2. With an electric mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Add egg and beat until smooth. On low, beat in vanilla and flour mixture just until blended. Stir in mini chips.

3. Drop by tablespoons onto parchment-paper lined baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

4. To make the frosting, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add powdered sugar in increments until smooth. Add a pinch of salt, then add the vanilla and as much heavy cream as needed to reach desired consistency.

5. After the cookies have cooled, invert half of the cookies and use a piping bag to pipe on filling. Top each half with another cookie of similar size and shape. This recipe makes 12 whoopie pies.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Excuse me while I clean the drool off of my keyboard.

I night need to make these or the S'mores whoopie pies this weekend...

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Love that these have cookie dough buttercream! Sounds amazing!

Stephanie said...

OMG!!!! STOP IT!!! Those look amazing.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

These are gorgeous! They're the most perfect whoopie pies I've ever seen. And I bet they were delicious!