Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weekly Meal Planning, Week of 1.9.12


Today is a very special day for our family. It's my younger son Will's second birthday. I honestly can't believe he's two years old already; the time has gone so fast. He's such a sweet, bright, hilarious little boy, and I feel so blessed to be his mommy.


We're having banana pancakes with peanut butter syrup for breakfast this morning, since my little guy can't get enough of bananas. Coincidentally, I think this is also a breakfast that would please that other guy who has a birthday today. It's fitting that The King and my Prince William share a birthday. :)

We're having a little impromptu family party for him this afternoon, with lots of yummy things to eat (including a few new recipes I'll share in the coming weeks) and even a Buzz Lightyear cake! (I did find some Buzz Lightyear cupcakes, but they looked a little too complicated for me to attempt.) I'm so excited to celebrate my littlest guy's special day!

On to the meal plan for next week. Even though we've had really mild weather this winter (with the exception of some frigid temperatures early last week), I'm still finding myself drawn to the classic winter comfort foods: pastas, casseroles, things like that. That's what we're mostly eating this week, along with a few old favorites.

Monday: Honey-lime chicken enchiladas. These enchiladas are so good, I can't even explain it.
 
Tuesday: Chicken tetrazzini and green beans. I've tried a few different recipes for chicken tetrazzini in the past and haven't been blown away by any of them. This version, though, with the addition of heavy cream and breadcrumbs, may be just what I'm looking for.

Wednesday: Taco rice. Definitely a family favorite!
 
ThursdayCheesy sausage penne, salad, and garlic bread. I'm not sure if I'm going to use Italian sausage or spicy sausage for this recipe, but either way, I think it'll be amazing.
 
Friday: Buffalo chicken quesadillas. I'll probably cook the chicken in the slow cooker (just like I do for this salad), so this dinner should come together really quickly, making it perfect for a Friday night. Actually, now that I'm looking at that salad and remembering how good that dressing is, I may make a little avocado-ranch dipping sauce to go with these. Yum!
 
Saturday: Pimiento cheese stuffed chicken (inspired by this recipe), roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli. I've had Pam's version of this recipe bookmarked to try for a while. Ironically, I plan to make her healthy version rather unhealthy with the addition of cream cheese in the filling, and coating the chicken breasts with Ritz crackers before baking them. I know, I'm bad.
 
Sunday: Tater-topped shepherd’s pie. I have a bag of tater tots in the freezer, and they're just begging to be used in this recipe. Literally, I could hear them begging. It was keeping me up at night.

3 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Happy birthday Will!

Looks like a yummy week in your house. I made those enchiladas years ago and loved them! I need to make them again soon.

Abby said...

We have so much in common! Married, two boys, both work, house. But you're my heroine. You are so organized! And we've love every recipe we've tried of yours! Chicken and beef rule around here.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a delicious week. Birthdays are worthy of the best.