Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies


I’ve been sitting here staring at the “New Post” window and the picture of these brownies for probably about 15 minutes, and I just have no idea what to write about them.

First I thought I’d write about how I made these for my stepmom and sister one weekend when they came over to watch vampire-related television, and how I always make something sweet for us to eat when they come over, and how I’ve become the go-to person in my family for sweet baked goods. Then I thought maybe I could write about ingredient trends in the food blogging world – like cookie dough, cake batter, or bacon in sweet desserts.

But then I thought, you know what? I’m just going to let these speak for themselves. It’s cookie dough, on top of a brownie. Do I really need to say anything else?

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
brownie recipe is my favorite recipe; cookie dough slightly adapted from Brown-Eyed Baker

For the brownies:

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the cookie dough:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1. For the brownies: In large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to batter and mix well.

2. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

3. For the cookie dough: In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine the butter and both sugars. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until combined. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour just until combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.

4. Spread the cookie dough over the cooled brownies. Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about an hour. Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut the brownies. Store the brownies in an airtight container at cool room temperature or in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ha! I hate when I can't think of what to write... It's happening more and more lately.. I blame the newborn lol. As for the brownies, yeah.. I don't need a story to know we'd like these.

Allison said...

I don't know when I'm going to find the energy to make them, but I HAVE to find the time and energy!

Or you can make them for me. :)

B said...

Oh Cassie, why? WHY?! I saw these on Brown Eyed Baker and said to myself "No... just walk away..." and now that I see them here, it's just... Providence, I tell you. I'm MEANT to bake these brownies. My poor waist. These just look way too delicious.

Deborah said...

Seriously. WOW!