Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bruschetta Chicken Bake


My husband just finished up his softball fall league, and I am very happy about this. I know it’s good for him to get out of the house and do some physical activity, but the truth is that his softball game nights can be pretty tough on me. I either have to rush around preparing dinner for all of us before he leaves for his game, or I have to make dinner without him there, which means I have two little boys underfoot and no back-up.

I made this particular dinner on the second kind of night, and I’m happy to report that it wasn’t stressful at all. This has nothing whatsoever to do with my sons (although they are both very well-behaved), but rather with the fact that this meal is so easy. You just mix up a few ingredients, throw everything in a casserole dish, and bake it. And that’s it. I was in and out of the kitchen before they had a chance to wreck the entire house.

Not only is it easy, it’s delicious too. My friend Leigh, whose blog I found this on, said it reminds her of an Italian version of Swiss chicken, and I think that’s a great description. It’s flavorful and filling, and according to Joe (who always comes home from his games famished), it reheated very well too. We all liked this one a lot!

Bruschetta Chicken Bake
adapted from One Day at a Time – From My Kitchen to Yours

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 14.5-ounce can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 6-ounce box chicken-flavored dry bread stuffing mix

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13-inch dish with nonstick spray. Place the cut chicken breasts in the bottom of the dish. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the chicken, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the cheese.

3. In a separate bowl combine the diced tomatoes, water, garlic and stuffing mix. Spread the stuffing mixture on top.

4. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.

No comments: