Monday, April 18, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice


I’ve seen different versions of this Chipotle favorite on a lot of blogs. I know I’m not in the minority when I say that one of my favorite things about eating at Chipotle is that incredible rice they serve in their burritos. A few years ago, I decided I was going to come up with my own version so we could enjoy it at home, and this is my (time-tested, perfected) recipe.

I use plain old instant white rice, so it’s ready in 5 minutes. However, I cook the rice in chicken broth and butter to give it tons of flavor, so it doesn’t taste instant in the least. To give it a fluffy texture, I use a 3/4 cup liquid to 1 cup rice ratio. But the thing I love most about my version? I add the cilantro directly to the rice while it’s cooking, so the bright, verdant herb flavors every single bite of rice. Add in some salt, and the juice of one lime, and it’s absolutely perfect -- and maybe even better than the original.

Cilantro Lime Rice

1 cup instant white rice
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste

1. Bring chicken broth and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice and cilantro; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in lime juice and add salt to taste. Serve.

Print

5 comments:

Allison said...

Have I ever told you how much I love you? Seriously. I bought the arborio and tried it all the "right" way and it was just too labor-intensive. I've added lime juice to my rice cooker from time to time...but it's good to have all the pieces tested. I'll be trying this next week for sure!

Merut said...

Gotta love Chipotle. I went there last week and was shocked to see a cilantro-lime BROWN rice option! I was ecstatic. Still am.

Avril said...

Cassie girl, you are putting me over the edge with all these yummy, yummy dishes!!! I LOVE cilantro! LOVE it! I can't wait to make this rice recipe.

Comfy cuisine said...

Hi Cassie! Hopped on over from Desi's blog. That rice sounds fabulous! My boys would love this!

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe tonight and it was so good! Definitely be making it again. Thanks for sharing!