Monday, March 21, 2011

Ginger Pear Chicken

I have to laugh at this photo, because it is so unbelievably bad. The lighting is horrible, and the picture totally looks like it belongs in one of those cookbooks from the ‘70s or ‘80s. Oh, the perils of winter are numerous for a food blogger. (Yes, I made this back in…December, I think?)

Anyway, regardless of the photo quality: This chicken is good stuff. Unlike a lot of people, I am definitely a fan of fruit in savory dishes, and I loved the combination of pears and chicken in this recipe. The ginger ale adds a wonderful spiciness to the dish, and the brown sugar highlights the sweetness of the pears perfectly. It’s really a great flavor profile.

In addition to being delicious, it’s ready in about 30 minutes and it’s budget-friendly. Both of my boys and my husband really liked this, and I did too, so I’ll definitely make it again. I served this with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf, although next time I’ll definitely serve it over plain white or brown rice to soak up the delicious sauce.

Ginger Pear Chicken
adapted from Taste of Home Cooking School 50th Anniversary Cookbook

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 16-ounce can pear halves in syrup, drained and syrup reserved
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups ginger ale
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

1. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste; add to skillet and brown on all sides.

2. Meanwhile, chop pears into bite-size pieces. In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups pear syrup, pear pieces, soy sauce, ginger ale, ginger, and brown sugar. Pour into skillet and simmer 20 minutes.

3. In a separate bowl, combine corn starch and water and add to skillet; cook over medium heat until sauce is thickened. Serve over cooked rice.


Print

3 comments:

Beth said...

That seems like such an odd combination, chicken and pears. But, that's also what makes me want to try it!

Bianca said...

What a simple and delicious sounding meal!

Britni said...

We tried this last night and the sauce is delicious! Not overwhelmingly sweet, just perfect :) Thanks for the recipe!