Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Texas BBQ Sloppy Joes

I love sloppy joes. I love all things barbecued. So when I saw this recipe, which combines those two loves, and then puts them on top of a piece of buttery Texas toast, I was instantly sold.

These are just as delicious as I thought they’d be. They remind me a lot of these burgers, but I think they taste even better. They definitely come together a lot more quickly. The sloppy joes themselves are tangy and flavorful, and when you combine them with crispy Texas toast and gooey melted cheese, it’s the perfect balance of textures and flavors. This one is a go-to, for sure.

Texas BBQ Sloppy Joes
adapted from Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi

1 1/3 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped

1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 package frozen garlic Texas toast
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1. Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain well. Return to skillet.

2. Stir in tomatoes with green chilies, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions. Serve beef mixture over Texas toast; sprinkle with cheese.

Print

9 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Okay. Sloppy joes and Texas toast?! I don't think it gets better than that! I cannot wait to try these!

Lisa K said...

This sounds so good! I'll have to make it soon.

Desi said...

i made this recipe too! it was so yummy, and has become a regular in our house!

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

Leigh said...

um....YUM!!!!

Monica H said...

Have I ever told you, what Cassie Craves, Monica Craves?! Well it's true!

I don't even like Texas Toast but this looks delish. I'll be making sloppy joes soon because my husband just saw this :-)

Monica

PS. Can we see bacon, roasted tomato, and provolone paninis sooner than later?!

Natalie said...

yum! i posted some sloppy joes today too! i can't wait to try these!

Erica (Irene) said...

This sure looks yummy...... can't wait to try it, my family will love it. Thanks for sharing and I really enjoy your blog.

Unknown said...

okay this sounds really good...so not healthy but so freaking worth it!!

Brennan's Mom said...

And it sounds so much better than the package stuff I buy at the store! I'm sure my husband will LOVE these! Thanks for sharing!