Monday, September 13, 2010

Creamy Burrito Casserole

How about a casserole recipe today? It seems like a good day for a casserole. Fall is in the air, for sure, and cooler weather always makes me hungry for hearty comfort food. And this casserole is definitely that.

I actually made this during the summer (I am so behind on posting!), and we all really liked it, even Andrew. It’s very highly-rated on Food.com, so I think I expected it to be transcendent, and while it wasn’t quite that, it was very good and something I’ll certainly make again. The original recipe calls for the tortillas to be broken up, but I found that unnecessary. I just layered them like lasagna and it worked out perfectly. There were only two and a half of us eating this, so we had lots of leftovers, but that was fine with me since I usually take leftovers for lunch. You could definitely divide the meat mixture in half and make another casserole for freezing, though.

This is a solid recipe, and something I think would please a crowd. It definitely pleased us!

Creamy Burrito Casserole
source: adapted from Food.com

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 package taco seasoning
6 medium flour tortillas
1 16-ounce can refried beans
1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, undrained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 10 3/4-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
4 ounces sour cream
Salsa and additional sour cream, if desired

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Brown ground beef and onion over medium-high heat; drain.

3. Add taco seasoning and stir in refried beans and green chilies.

4. Mix soup and sour cream in a separate bowl. Spread half of the sour cream mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Top with three flour tortillas, tearing as necessary to completely cover the sour cream mixture.

5. Top tortillas with half of the meat mixture, then top with cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.

6. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.

Print

7 comments:

grace said...

Seriously, you always post the most delicious recipes! I want to cook one up every night and this one sounds PERFECT :)

Larissa said...

I love your casseroles! Makes me wish I could get an invite to your table...

Debbie said...

I love Mexican casseroles....the picture is mouth watering!!

Deborah said...

I have been totally craving casseroles (and fast food!) so this looks so amazing to me right now!

Keri said...

I'm craving Mexican now:-)! Can't wait to try this.

Monica H said...

We're actually having burritos tomorrow. yummy!

Still waiting on that cooler weather though!

Allison said...

Who knew you could use Cream of Mushroom to make something Mexican? This was an awesome dish, even though I forgot the taco seasoning until I was putting the cheese on top. Sprinkled some over the top to add the flavor. Delish!