Monday, July 26, 2010

Cream Cheese Enchiladas

Yep. Cream cheese again. This time it’s the star ingredient in these creamy, spicy, flavorful chicken enchiladas that Joe has pronounced his new favorite enchiladas, surpassing his previous two favorites by leaps and bounds. And I have to admit that they just may be my new favorite too. I loved them. I mean, of course I did: They have the words “cream cheese” in the title.

I found this recipe on Marci’s wonderful blog. Judging by her archives, it appears that Marci is the queen of enchiladas, and this is one of her favorites too. And I’m sure she’s not as obsessed with cream cheese as I am, so you can totally take her word for it that these are really good.

I’ll be making these again and again. And then? I’ll make them again. Joe will insist on it.

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
source: slightly adapted from On My Menu

5 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups prepared salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded pepper-jack cheese, divided
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 8-inch flour tortillas

1. Preheat oven 325 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa. Stir in 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.

3. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.

4. Spread about 1/2 cup salsa in the bottom of a baking dish. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup filling on a tortilla, roll up and put in dish seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas.

5. Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
6. Transfer to preheated oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve warm.

38 comments:

Keri said...

Oh my-- these look amazingly decadent and delicious. I have to try these soon!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Marci said...

Glad you liked them! I haven't made them in awhile, but you definitely reminded me how good they are :-)!

grace said...

Enchiladas <3

You're a woman after my own heart!

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing, I made these for a girls night and everyone raved about them!

caroline k said...

these were good but i'm still in love with your White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce!! and i got 3 other people addicted to those too :)

love-up-you said...

Aus wirtschaftlichen Vorteilen ist der beste Weg zu einem lockeren thomas sabo onlineshop Edelstein der gewünschten Größe und Farbe finden und fragen Sie einen erfahrenen Juwelier zu einem perfekten Ring angebote thomas sabo armketten Akzent machen die Qualitäten des Steins. Da der Mondstein ist sehr empfindlich sind sie anfällig für Kratzer und Beschädigungen. Daher sollte Armband mit Anhänger die richtige Pflege gegeben, während sie tragen werden. Nur milde Reinigungsmittel und ein weiches Tuch zur Reinigung sollte them.Many Paare thomas sabo armkette denken, dass traditionelle

Candi said...

YUM! I'm planning our meal plan next week and this is going on it! Sounds delicious! I'm not sure why I never thought about adding cream cheese before, I do add it to our quesadillas. Duh! :)

Dori said...

I just wanted to say that I got this recipe from your blog some time ago and it's my absolute favorite recipe for chicken enchiladas! Since I got the recipe, i have made it over and over again, and it's always scrumptious-thank you SO much for sharing it!!!

Beth said...

I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious! I used green chiles instead of corn because that is what I had....turned out great! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I was with you all the way until I read, Flour tortillas. For enchiladas?! Not possible. Enchiladas are traditionally made with corn and only corn tortillas.

Adri said...

Thanks for sharing this yummy looking recipe, what kind of sauce do you use? I normally make my own enchilada sauce but I'm not sure if you use something different?

erika said...

These were delicious!

Carita De Angel said...

This look soo yummy..
Doing it tomorrow for dinner..i cant wait..
Im so hungryy :-P ..
and if she wants to do them with flour tortillas ..who cares? Its her own version..goshh this people!...

Unknown said...

Yummy stuff.. I use corn instead of flour tortillas... subtract the corn and add some enchilada sauce with the salsa and mm mm mm... :)

Michelle said...

Thank you so much! I tried these and they were outstanding. Definitely a keeper and I will be making them again. Yummy!

Lee Ann said...

Yummm! Thanks for posting! :)
_________
Lee Ann H.

Order a hand-crochet name or initial to frame at Crochet...Gotta Love It!

My blog Crochet...Gotta Love It!

Lee Ann said...

Aggie Mom said...

Only corn tortillas for me in Texas, flour get soggy!

Anonymous said...

Can u share the White Chicken enchiladas recipe? I must have missed it. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

This recipe is fantastic! I've made it a couple times... and subbed in shrimp for the chicken once. It was amazing! Thanks for the recipe... It's a hit in my house!

Anonymous said...

Yes please share that one too!

Anonymous said...

Looks soooo yummy gonna try real soon.<3

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if this could be assembled and frozen? I'm concerned about freezing the sour cream. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

If i do not have chicken, can I use ground beef and it be as good or close?

kIMBERLY said...

Tried these last night and was a bit disappointed. There was too much salsa IMO. It made it taste a little funky. I will omit the salsa on top and bottom next time around. The inside mixture was delicious though!

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Desirae said...

What kind of salsa do you use?

Unknown said...

I disagree about having to use only corn tortillas for enchiladas. I prefer flour with chicken and corn with beef. Who says you have to be authentic if it tastes good!

Buckeye Blabber Blogger said...

Yum !

Im gonna make these for Memorial Day
Thanks for the recipe !

Unknown said...

It was out of this world! I also used the whole can of chilies. It will probably become a weekly recipe!

Unknown said...

Just made these. Had everything but the scallions. They were AMAZING. In my top three favorite things I've ever cooked! Thanks for helping this pregnant woman's cravings!

Mellisa Weinberg said...

I love these! I make pico de gallo from scratch, homemade enchilada sauce and skip the seasoning on the chicken. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, chicken, cheese and 3/4 cup pico de gallo, roll tortillas, mix enchilada sauce with some more sour cream to lighten up, top with cheese. Amazing!

Tlwaltz said...

I agree, only corn tortillas for enchiladas for me.

Tlwaltz said...

I agree, only corn tortillas for enchiladas for me.

Anonymous said...

It says half the scallions .... there are no scallions in the recipe .... ?????

Unknown said...

Great, used leftover pulled pork, 1/2 C. corn+blk beans and 1/2 red +salsa verse. All jack cheese. Just beautiful! $7.50 ea enchilada! KEEPER! Tnx

Unknown said...

Forgot to say I pre browned flour tortillas. Crispy on the bottom. Very flavorful.

George said...

Nice post. People can easily ordewr Best Fried Chicken in Cape May from Krispy Crunchy Chicken. A leading destination for ordering chicken products.