Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs

Good morning everyone! I hope you all had fantastic long holiday weekends. I don’t know about you, but I think the Tuesday after a long weekend is so much worse than any Monday. Our weekend was so crazy, I feel like I need at least two days to recover from it! We had so much fun, though.

I have a really delicious chicken kabob recipe to share with you today. This recipe comes from The Sisters’ Café, which is one of my very favorite food blogs. There are five ladies who contribute, and they post yummy recipes so frequently it makes my head spin!

We all really enjoyed these chicken kabobs. I actually broiled them instead of grilling them because it was raining the day I made these (but then, what day isn’t it raining here lately?), and that worked fine, but next time I make them I’ll definitely grill them for the extra flavor. I’ve posted the original instructions below, since I only broiled them out of necessity.

I think our favorite part of these kabobs was the pineapple; it tasted so delicious doused in BBQ sauce, and it was a nice balance to the bell peppers and the chicken. With some rice pilaf on the side, these made for a quick, delicious, and simple dinner. It was affordable, too; I only used one large chicken breast, and I got seven kabobs out of it. I’ll definitely be making them again this summer!

Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs
source: slightly adapted from The Sisters’ Café

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (1 1/2 inch)
1 each red and green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
3 tablespoons orange juice

1. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste and thread alternately with pineapple and peppers onto skewers to make kabobs.

2. Mix BBQ sauce and juice and brush some of the sauce mixture onto kabobs. Grill 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is done, turning and brushing occasionally with remaining sauce mixture.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Oh I wish we had a grill...these would be so perfect for me! I'm bookmarking these for when we go to my in-laws...they have a grill! lol

Natalie said...

this is one of our favorite summer recipes--we also add cherry or grape tomatoes to the kabobs! LOVE this meal!

Amy said...

Oh I have got to put this on our list!