Monday, June 7, 2010

Southwestern Hash with Fried Eggs

About a month ago, I came across this recipe on Cara’s Cravings, and I put it on our weekly menu immediately. I’ve been really into baked eggs lately, and this sounded like something our whole family would really love.

But then on the day that I was making this for dinner, I noticed some baby red potatoes in the pantry that needed to be used up, and suddenly the Southwestern stew with baked eggs I’d planned to make became something different entirely: a Southwestern hash with fried eggs. And it was absolutely delicious, and something I will definitely be making again. And again and again. And then? I’ll make it again.

Seriously, this is probably one of my new favorite meals EVER. It’s just so good! I love the idea of putting Southwestern flavors in a potato hash. This version is meatless, but in the future I may add some sausage to this, which I think would make it taste even better.

I love it when a food blogger inspires me to create a new dish. Thank you, Cara, for the inspiration!

Southwestern Hash with Fried Eggs
source: inspired by Cara’s Cravings

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons butter, divided
10 unpeeled baby red potatoes, quartered or diced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
4 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese

1. Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste, chili powder, and cumin. Add onion when potatoes are about half done. Cook until potatoes are cooked through and crispy on the outside and onion is softened. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds.

2. Reduce heat to low. Add corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Heat through, stirring occasionally. Stir in about half of the cilantro. Sprinkle cheese over the top of the hash and cover skillet with aluminum foil so the cheese melts.

3. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add eggs (season with salt and pepper if desired) and cook to your desired preference (I fried ours so that the yolks were still runny, but scrambled eggs or sunny-side-up would also be good here).

4. Top each serving of hash with two fried eggs. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Together We Save said...

Yum!! I could eat this dish right from the computer if that was possible.

Monica H said...

I was wanting to make hash and eggs last night and ended up making burgers instead. Now I'm really craving this!

Sonya said...

Cassie that looks soooo delicious! bookmarked!