Monday, March 29, 2010

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

I know this meal doesn't look very pretty in the picture, but trust me: This pepper steak is absolutely delicious. The meat is really flavorful and tender, and the sauce is just amazing. I used a can of crushed tomatoes instead of the whole tomatoes called for in the original recipe, but it worked out just fine. I also skipped the corn starch step, which is why my sauce is a lot thinner than it would have been otherwise. But I really liked the way the sauce soaked down into the rice and flavored it.

If you're looking for a meal that requires very little prep and almost no maintenance and results in something flavorful and satisfying, I think you'll really like this.

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
source: Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi

1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef top round steak
2 tablespoons canola oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 cup chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

4 tomatoes, cut into eighths or 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up (I used 1 can of crushed tomatoes)

1 large green pepper, cut into strips

1/2 cup cold water

1 tablespoon cornstarch


1. Cut beef into strips; brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a 3-quart slow cooker. Combine the next seven ingredients; pour over beef.

2. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green peppers; cook on low for 1 hour longer.

3. Combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a paste; stir into liquid in slow cooker and cook on high until thickened. (I skipped this step, but would probably do this next time to make the sauce a little thicker.)

2 comments:

Cara said...

I love dishes like this, and yours sounds great! This is definitely comfort food to me.

Anonymous said...

That looks pretty good. I'd probably be tempted to spice it up with green chillis etc. like an Indian curry.