Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dr. Seuss-Inspired Cupcakes

This isn't even really a recipe, but I wanted to share these cupcakes with you anyway because they were so much fun to make. Dr. Seuss's birthday was earlier this week, and my son's daycare is celebrating by having a Seuss-themed week. This is right up Andrew's alley, because he loves Dr. Seuss books and is steadily building his library. His favorite by far is The Foot Book, which he got for Christmas last year (and as a matter of fact, we actually read it about 12 times this morning). We're even considering doing a Seuss-themed big boy room for him.

This happened to be my week to make a snack for Andrew's class, and I knew I had to do something Seuss-related. I decided on cupcakes, but most of the recipes I saw on the internet were really fancy and high-maintenance. I considered doing something related to The Foot Book, but something about cupcakes and feet together just sounded unappetizing to me. Finally I decided to make some One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish-themed cupcakes. The fish look nothing like Dr. Seuss's, but I don't think Andrew and his friends will care.

The fish were made with writing icing I bought in the baking aisle, and it was so easy to work with. It dried hard, a lot like royal icing. I think Andrew and his friends are going to love these!

Dr. Seuss-Inspired Cupcakes

1 box funfetti cake mix
Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix
1 container classic white frosting
Yellow, green, red and blue writing icing
Black decorating gel

1. Prepare cake mix as directed and bake according to cupcake instructions on box. Cool.

2. Frost cupcakes. Using writing icing, pipe fish shapes onto cupcakes and fill in completely. Use black decorating gel for eyes.

6 comments:

Kat said...

How cute!! My little nephew would love these :)

Debbie said...

Very, very cute!

Sonya said...

Oh my gosh those cupcakes are adorable!!

Monica H said...

Cute!

Julie said...

Those are SO cute...I'm just in love with cupcakes!

Deborah said...

These are SO cute!