Friday, March 19, 2010

Baked Spaghetti with Spinach and Cheese

I've mentioned my love of casseroles before. I was attracted to this particular recipe for two reasons: It's meatless, and it's condensed soup-less, something you don't find in too many casseroles of this type. We all really enjoyed this, although it was a little bit dry for my tastes; I wanted it to be creamier. Next time I make it I'll add another cup of sour cream, and I've reflected that change below. But I will definitely make this again. It comes together very quickly, is relatively healthy, and tastes really, really good!

Baked Spaghetti with Spinach and Cheese

source: adapted from Taste of Home Cooking School's 50th Anniversary Cookbook


4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or angel hair, broken into 2-inch pieces

1 egg

2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained

1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook spaghetti in salted water according to package directions. Drain.


2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat egg. Add sour cream, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.


3. Add drained spaghetti to egg mixture with Monterey jack cheese, spinach, and half of the onions. Pour into a greased 2-quart baking dish.


4. Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining onions; bake 5 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Looks so good! I am bookmarking this one for sure!

Anonymous said...

Such a tasty vegetarian meal...thanks for sharing it, I've printed it out!

Sherry G said...

This really really looks good!