Monday, March 8, 2010

Baked Potato Wedges

I have been searching for a good recipe for crispy oven fries for a long time now, and within the span of a couple of days, two recipes showed up in my reader. I couldn't wait to try one of them to go with our jalapeno popper burgers. I'm so sick of frozen French fries; no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get them crispy. Ditto with every recipe I've tried using fresh potatoes; they always come out soggy. Both Annie's and Deseree's recipes promised to be crispy, and I decided to try Deseree's first. I was intrigued by the use of flour on the potatoes -- something I'd never seen before.

My search for a crispy oven fry is officially over! These turned out exactly like I'd hoped they would -- crispy on the outside, pillowy and fluffy on the inside. Even Joe, who loves crispy fries and will accept no substitutes, loved these. I used black pepper instead of cayenne because Andrew was eating these too, but I'm sure they'd be even more delicious with the cayenne. I think I'm going to be finding lots of excuses to make burgers from now on, just so I can put these on our menu over and over again.

Baked Potato Wedges
source: adapted from Life's Ambrosia

Non-stick spray

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 to 8 wedges each

1 teaspoon seasoning salt

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon black pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.


2. Mix butter and olive oil in a bowl. Brush mixture onto the potatoes.


3. Combine seasoning salt, flour and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Add potatoes to bag and shake to coat.


4. Bake on prepared cookie sheet for 20 minutes. Turn and bake for 10 more minutes.


5. Turn on the broiler and broil for 5 to 7 more minutes or until browned. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Mrs. Ca said...

I am definitely going to have to try these. I love battered french fries, especially when they're nice and crunchy. One of my favorites includes ranch seasoning in the batter, so maybe I'll try that variation. Yum!