Monday, October 12, 2009

Quick Mozzarella Sticks

First of all, I just have to say this: I have a deep, deep love of breaded mozzarella sticks, so in my book there is absolutely no way these can compare to the more traditional version. These mozzarella sticks are, however, a quick and easy at-home version of the traditional ones, and while they will never take the place of my seasoned and breaded cheese sticks, they're a perfectly acceptable and satisfying substitute. They were heartily enjoyed by all three of us.

How clever is this idea? Seriously. Using egg roll wrappers in place of the more traditional breading -- it's nothing short of genius, and something I can't believe I never thought of. I think I should have deep-fried mine for just a little bit longer than I did, just so the cheese would get meltier (no, I don't care if that's not a word), but really, I can't say a single bad thing about this recipe. I can see myself making these for my boys (and all their hungry friends, too) far, far into the future.


Quick Mozzarella Sticks
source: seen on Tried and True Cooking with Heidi, originally from Simple & Delicious Magazine

12 pieces string cheese
12 egg roll wrappers
Oil for deep-fat frying
Marinara or spaghetti sauce

1. Place a piece of string cheese near the bottom corner of one egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over cheese. Roll up halfway; fold sides toward center over cheese. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.

2. In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil to 375°.

3. Fry sticks, a few at a time, for 30 to 60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with marinara sauce.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Oohh that does look good..can you believe that they dont have string cheese over here? It's such a shame because I would of loved to have made these!

Anonymous said...

These are so good and crispy. I fried them. Very easy and very quick.