Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

Do you ever see a recipe and think to yourself, "Mmm, that sounds good, I think I'll give it a try." And you make it, and then it tastes SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU EVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED? These sandwiches are that kind of food. Joe liked them so much he begged for me to make them again the next night. I liked them so much I actually posted a link to the recipe on Facebook. Seriously. We both liked them so much we almost cried over the SHEER JOY OF EATING THEM. You think I'm exaggerating, don't you? I promise, I'm not.

If I were to pinpoint one thing that made this such an awesome sandwich, I'd have to say it's the pesto mayonnaise. It worked so well with the rest of the flavors and tied them all together in a way that was just absolutely perfect. We will be having these sandwiches again soon, and we will be having them on a regular basis FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES. If I could reach through your computer screens and force you to try them, I would. But since I can't, I'll just assure you that if you do try them, I know you'll love them just as much as we did. We ate ours with a side of zucchini cakes, which were a quick and tasty accompaniment.

Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
source: Epicurious

1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons prepared pesto
2 4x4-inch squares focaccia or ciabatta (I used a sweet Italian loaf, cut in half and sliced sub-style, and grilled)
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
Olive oil
4 thin slices fresh mozzarella (I used 6 thick slices, 3 per sandwich. I love my fresh mozzarella!)
2 canned artichoke hearts, drained, thinly sliced
1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
1 cup mixed baby greens (omitted)

1. Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Combine mayonnaise and pesto in small bowl; whisk to blend.

2. Brush chicken lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to cutting board; cool slightly. Cut chicken on sharp diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices (I did this with Joe's sandwich, but I kept mine whole, which I would recommend because it keeps the juices in).

3. Spread pesto mayonnaise onto cut surfaces of bread. Layer chicken, mozzarella, artichokes, and tomato onto bottom halves. Top with bread tops.

2 comments:

Keri said...

Your description of this sandwich alone has me drooling. I can't wait to try it!!

Donna-FFW said...

I love every single thing on this sandwich.. delicious!