Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekly Meal Planning


This week our menu is packed with everything I'm craving. Joe is just along for the ride; he'll eat what I make, and he will like it. I really owe him a week of only food that he wants (which basically means a week of having lasagna every day). Maybe I'll do that in a few weeks, but for now, it's all about fulfilling my voracious cravings. He really is a saint for putting up with me sometimes.

Monday -- Soup or Salad: BBQ-ranch fried chicken salad. I probably won't "officially" post the recipe for this salad, but here's how I make it: I buy a package of fried chicken tenders from the deli counter at the grocery store, then warm them, slice them, and put them on top of a store-bought salad mix that I've jazzed up with grape tomatoes, sliced green onions, and cheddar cheese. Then I douse the whole thing with BBQ-ranch salad dressing. Simple, semi-homemade, and delicious!

Tuesday -- Pasta: Creamy tomato tortellini, garlic bread

Wednesday -- Grilling: Hot dogs with Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce, grilled corn on the cob. It's getting comical how the universe is conspiring against us having this meal. We didn't have it two weeks ago because I was feeling particularly lazy pregnant. We didn't have it last week because I came down with a terrible summer cold (the worst kind, in my opinion) and I didn't feel like cooking. Plus, it stormed all day -- not exactly ideal grilling weather. So we ate leftovers last Wednesday. But I really want to eat this, so we are going to have it this week, I swear!

Thursday -- Quick and Easy: BLTs, hashbrowns

Friday -- Burgers and Fries: Pub patties with horseradish sauce, steak fries

Saturday -- Regional or International: Pierogies with smoked sausage and sauerkraut


Sunday -- Comfort Food: Slow-cooker BBQ beans and sausage. Jessie mentioned this recipe recently, and I can't believe I overlooked it in my latest issue of Food Network Magazine. I know, I know, three barbecue dishes in one week. Start buying stock in Sweet Baby Ray's! The baby is going to come out slathered in barbecue sauce at the rate I'm going.

No comments: