Monday, August 25, 2008

Thai Chicken Pizza

This meal was kind of a departure for us and definitely not something my husband would have chosen for us to eat. He's sort of a pizza "purist," if you will; he needs his red sauce and his oily cheese and his pepperoni. When he asked me what was for dinner on Friday night and I told him it was Thai chicken pizza, he was skeptical.

But, in the end, he really liked it; we both did. I followed the suggestion of a reviewer and added some lime juice to the sauce mixture, which added a nice tang, and I let the chicken stew in some soy sauce for a few minutes before I added it to the pizza. I will make some changes to this recipe if I make it again, though, like adding thin strips of red bell pepper to the toppings and using cilantro or basil as a fresh, fragrant garnish. Also, I'll use less sauce next time; there was just a little too much, and it sort of overwhelmed the flavor of the pizza.

I think bean sprouts are the culinary love of my life. This recipe called for them, so I bought a bag at the store, and thankfully I have plenty left over for snacking today at work. Yum!


Thai Chicken Pizza
Source: All Recipes

1 12-inch pre-baked pizza crust (I used a thin crust one, which worked really well)
1 7-ounce jar peanut sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
8 ounces cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts (optional)
1/2 cup shredded carrot (optional)
1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts (optional) (I didn't use)


1. Preheat the oven to 400ยบ.

2. In a small bowl, stir together the peanut sauce and peanut butter. Spread over the pizza crust. Arrange strips of chicken on top. Sprinkle on the green onions and cheese.

3. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with bean sprouts, carrot shreds and peanuts, if using. Slice into wedges and serve.

And I just have to share this picture of my son with you, who "helps" me cook dinner every night. His little feet can just barely touch the floor in his Jumperoo, but distraction is the name of the game when you have a three-month-old and need to get dinner on the table, and this definitely helps in that department!

No comments: